Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Incunabula Books

I recently read an article discussing incunabula books. Incunabula books are defined as an early print book; especially one printed before 1501. So full disclosure here, I love antiquarian books the older the better. There is something so extraordinary about these ancient specimens. My favorite bookstore (so far) is located a few blocks from my house. Now this is not a Barnes and Noble (no offense). The store has a whole plethora of antiquarian books. Just walking in I can smell the old glue that was used to hold these precious gems together. In the basement of the store is where you can find a whole other set of old books but better yet there is a sub-level which is home to the more rare books. Unfortunately, I have not been to the sub-level. It's on my list of things to do. The whole reason I even want to commit time, effort, and money into graduate college is so I can specialize in rare books and the digitization i.e. saving of these precious books. My heart hurts a little every time I see a oldie but goodie with a torn cover, or a ruined spine. I believe that we were trusted to be the guardians of such important materials. Here is a lovely page where you can get an idea of how expensive, (rightfully so), these books are. Perhaps you have one lying in your families basement? I am still deciding what type of rare book I want to collect. I believe going by subject would be best as a beginning collector. Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment